Saturday 4 October 2014

A note on social roots

Someone said to me today that I am confusing because I am sometimes "middle class" and sometimes "underclass". My understanding is that it is about social roots. Where do you come from? What did you do and where did you go as a youth? What was the environment that you spent your youthful days in? For me I spent those days on council estates with what today would be called "hoodies". We used to smoke weed on the rooftops of Studley Estate, the blocks on Stockwell Park Estate or the corridors of Patmore Estate. We would go to parties on yellow brick estate in Peckham, Aylesbury in Camberwell and Angel Town in Brixton. We would walk in a gang of 20 man strong to go to Notting Hill Carnival; we would go on "steaming" sprees, all the "underclass" youth meeting at Lambeth Town Hall from every area to "steam" McDonalds, that is my roots. These are the spaces and experiences that grew me. If I was an African-American they would say I come from the hood! Your social roots are embedded in you, in the way you speak, the way you walk and your mannerisms. Jay-Z is a multi-millionaire and a grown man but he still raps about his experiences as a youth in Marcy projects, he never forgets it, it is in him... Yes, you can acquire some "middle class" intellect and study the great thinkers of the world but your social roots you carry with you for life, it is what has made you what you are. The question is, can someone with social roots in these spaces, in these experiences, in this culture make it in the political world? Can we tell that story? Is it allowed? Can I live?

No comments:

Post a Comment